If you are new to working on a cruise ship, the way of life can take a little getting used to. You may be on a ship working a minimum of 70 hours per week, with a contract ranging from 3-8 months in length.
There are many variations of our employment contracts. Individual contracts are discussed in greater detail with your hiring agent or Disney Cruise Line representative.
- Contracts can be for 3, 4, 4 1/2, 6, or 8 months, depending on position.
- After each contract, crew members receive a break on average of 6 to 8 weeks, depending on the position.
- While on contract, every crew member works every day. Crew members do have some time off during the day, but it is limited.
- There are no days off while on contract.
- Most crew members work a minimum of 70 hours each week. For our tipped crew (Dining Room, Bar, Stateroom), a minimum workweek is 84 hours.
- Anything over minimum is considered voluntary overtime, and our crew are compensated for those additional hours.
- No crew member will work more than 91 hours a week or extend past an 8 month contract.
- While on contract, a crew member receives free room and board, access to crew spaces/recreational activities, and access to medical services.